Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Yum!

Here is a random post about food stuff, just because I'm hungry right now. :)

Whoever made Cholula should be praised forever. And this is coming from someone who never cared for hot sauce, ever. I love this stuff! It makes it so much easier to eat scrambled eggs (I force myself to eat 'em for the protein...)

The best gum ever is Epic's fruit gum. It's made with xylitol, which is really really really good for your teeth. Using xylitol can even reverse cavities (true story!). Here's my experience after starting to use Epic gum: I wasn't able to get back to the dentist for a little over a year. When I had my cleaning done, the hygienist was surprised I hardly had anything to scrape off my teeth. I spoke to them about the wonders of xylitol. :)

Recently, there was a dessert contest at work. I won the "People's Choice" award for my entry. I made up a recipe for the contest (hey, it worked last time I won a recipe contest at work!), and it turned out pretty darn good, if you ask me.



Suzy’s Strawberry Tiramisu

1 cup strawberry jam
6 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
1 lb. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
20 oz. angel food cake, cut into 3x1x¾ inch pieces
4-6 cups strawberries, cut up (sweeten lightly with sugar, if needed)


Stir the jam and 4 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate in a small bowl to blend.

Combine the cream cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate in a large bowl to blend. Use an electric mixer to beat the cream, sugar and vanilla in another large bowl until soft peaks form. Use a large rubber spatula to stir ¼ of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten. Fold the remaining whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.

Line the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish (or other decorative serving dish or a springform pan) with half the angel food cake pieces. Spread half of the jam mixture over the cake. Spread half the cream cheese mixture over the jam mixture, and then cover with half the strawberries. Repeat layering with the remaining cake, jam mixture, cream cheese mixture and strawberries. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Drizzle with melted chocolate or chocolate syrup, if desired.

2 comments:

Gen said...

You have the BEST recipes! Can't wait to try it.

GreenJello said...

Let me know if you and your family likes it! My kids gave it two thumbs up.

And the good recipes are the reason I'm 35-ish pounds overweight right now. (!!!) Hrumph.